How to Change Name and/or Gender Marker on a Driver's License or State Issued Identification

The requirements and process for changing one’s name and/or gender on a driver’s license or state identification varies from state to state. 

For name change, no doctor's letter is required.

For a gender marker change, most states require that a health care provider fill out a form and/or write a letter, but different language is required for different states. The will require the originals of the form and/or letter.  To learn about the requirements in your state, visit the National Center for Transgender Equality’s Interactive Map.

For detailed information about the process, please see the Transgender Law Center's Guide, ID Please.

A letter template that complies with California law is attached below.

Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request


Please sign in to leave a comment.