How to Change Name and/or Gender on a Social Security Card

First obtain a court order name and/or gender change.

Submit a completed SS-5 form, and include either a court ordered name or gender marker change, a passport or birth certificate with the updated information, or original physician's letter indicating you have undergone "clinically appropriate treatment for the gender transition from X to Y". If you are changing your gender marker, do so in-person at the local Social Security Office. They may ask for proof of citizenship and/or another form of photo ID as well.

Was this article helpful?
1 out of 1 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request


Please sign in to leave a comment.